Nationally, the years of 1852- 1877 marked an era in our
history filled with turmoil, unrest, and war. This was the time period when the
abolitionists spoke out strongly against slavery. In 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected
President of the
When we left off in 1851, Rev. Sydney H. Barteau was minister and the parsonage was purchased from Calvin Bishop and Lyman Wilcox for $1,000. Rev. Barteau was dismissd as pastor in 1852.
Those serving as pastor during this time were as follows:
Winter 1861-1862 Reverend Mr. Rollo served as pastor
Rev Benjamin F. Willoughby served from November 1862 until the Spring of 1865. He earned a yearly salary of $510.
During this time period of 1852 to 1870 there were a several changes to the church.
The first was the purchase of a reed organ in the 1850’s. This was the organ used until 1873 when a pipe organ was purchased for about $800. The pipe organ stood in the gallery for about 10 years when it was moved to the side of the pulpit. The first tune played on it was “Coronation.”
The church was rededicated in the Winter of 1866-1867.
There was a seven piece communion service purchased for $38.00.
In 1870, the church lawn was graded and ornamental trees were set. In 1900, only on large elm tree remained. The grounds were also enclosed with posts and ornamental chains.
Possibly, the most important change to the church itself during this time was the remodeling of the church building in 1866. The following changes were made for the total cost of almost $4,000:
§ Old square windows were replaced with modern stain glass windows
§ The gallery on the sides were removed
§ The pulpit was moved to the opposite end of the auditorium
§ Pews were replaced with modern pews.
§ Stoves were moved to the basement
§ An additional strip of land was purchased for $95.75 from Henry Maycock for a chapel to be built on the rear of the church.